The expatriate worker in Qatar is permitted to transfer to a new employer even if his/her Residence Permit (RP) has expired. The condition to change the job of an expatriate worker if the Residence Permit (RP) has expired is that the job process should be done within 90 days of the RP expiry. Additional conditions are:
- An additional contract is required to be submitted by the employer in case of hiring a worker temporarily (Ayara) to the main job contract of the worker.
- As per article No. 67, the employer who wishes to hire a foreign worker on a temporary basis must submit a supplementary contract to the main employment contract, signed by the employer and the foreign worker and confirmed by the Labour Ministry.
- The procedure will have to be notified by the expat to the department concerned at the Ministry of Administrative Development, Labor and Social Affairs (MADLSA).
- According to article No. 65, the expat’s work organization will be changed according to the rules and regulations in this regard.
- According to Article No 3, The decision should be implemented by all authorities concerned from the next day of the publication of the Official Gazette, which was in September 2020.
The amendments in Qatar Labour Law were made by the Minister of Interior Decision No. 51 of 2020 amending certain provisions of the implementing regulations of Law No. 21 of 2015 on the regulation of the entry and exit of expatriates and their stay.
So if you are worried that the validity of your Qatar ID (QID) has expired and you have lost your job, worry no more because you have an extension of 90 days to change a work organization.