Qatar is an Islamic country, so people who want to buy porknon halal items such as alcohol would need a special licence or permit. These products, which are not halal, are also subject to a sin tax (excise tax) of 100%, which is usually put on things that are bad for people’s health or the environment.
The only company that brings in, sells, and distributes alcohol and pork products is Qatar Distribution Company (QDC). It is also in charge of giving licences to hotels, clubs, and restaurants so they can sell alcohol to their customers.
You should know that all non-halal products are also subject to 100% excise tax, applied to all the goods which are bad for human health and the environment.
Qatar Distribution Company (QDC):
Those with a licence or permit can buy alcohol directly for their own use at home.
People who are not Muslims need a licence or permit to buy pork products.
Here’s a quick guide to what you need to know if you want to buy these products and apply for a permit.
Who is eligible to apply for a QDC license/permit?
- Non-GCC citizens with a valid Qatar Resident Permit
- Over 21 years old
- Basic salary of at least QR 3,000 per month, without any bonuses or extra pay.
Some people with a multi-entry visa who are not RP or QID can apply in certain situations. People who work in Qatar on a multi-entry visa or other type of business visa must meet the following requirements:
- Must have lived in Qatar for at least 3 months
- Must be staying in Qatar in a private home (not hotels)
- The employer or sponsor in Qatar must confirm these details in writing.
How to make a new QDC permit request?
To get a new QDC permit, you need to meet these requirements:
The following is written in English on a letter from the employer to QDC or “To Whom It May Concern”:
- Name \sPosition
- Monthly pay broken down (basic salary, allowances)
- The right to housing must be shown as either free housing from the employer or a monthly allowance.
- Stamped by the company and signed by an authorised signer.
- within the past three months
- Original letterhead from a business
- QIDs that are good for more than two months
- Completed QDC application form, which can be found in the waiting area of the Permit Office or at the Parking Guard Room.
- Other things that might be asked for:
- Bank statement
- Copy of the employment contract (CR)
- The applicant should pay the licence fee based on how long QID will be valid. There is no way to get the licence fee back. You can use a debit card or a credit card to pay.
QDC PERMIT VALIDITY ANNUAL FEE
Year 1: QR 150
Year 2: QR 250
Year 3: QR 350
Year 4: QR 400
Through the QDC website, you can set up a time to go to the Permit Office.
What do you need to remember once you have your QDC permit?
- Permits are only for your own use.
- After the application process is done, you’ll find out how many alcoholic drinks you can have each month.
- Customers can only get into the store if they have a main or joint permit card. No guests, spouses without joint cards, or children of any age will be allowed in the store.
- Only people who are not Muslims will be able to buy pork.
- If you don’t have your permit card, you can’t buy anything.
- If a transfer is seen happening on QDC property, the goods will be taken away and the permit will be suspended or revoked.
- The person with the permit and the goods must be in the same car and driven straight to the person’s home.
- The person with the permit must hide the goods from public view while they are being moved.
- Alcohol products can only be used at the home of the person with the permit. They can’t be sold or given away.
- Even if the person has a valid permit, they can’t give the liquor to someone else.
How to get your spouse an extra permit?
- A second card can only be given to the spouse of the person who already has a Residence Permit, as long as the spouse has a valid permit. The person with the permit and their spouse should both apply in person.
How to book an appointment online?
On May 31, 2020, QDC began taking appointments online. Learn more about the QDC online appointment system for the store and permit office.
How do I order online from QDC?
Those who have a QDC licence can also use the Click & Collect service on the QDC website to order items ahead of time.
- On the QDC home page, click the “Click & Collect” button.
- Enter log in details
- Choose the date and time of pick-up.
- Put things in the cart
- Review online and pay
- Pick up your order at the QDC store.
Things to keep in mind when using Click & Collect to place an order
- Through the QDC Contact Us page, you can cancel your order up to 24 hours before the date and time of collection.
- You can change the date and time of your pick-up up to 24 hours before the date and time you chose before.
- You can’t change what you want to buy.
- You’ll get an email letting you know that your order has been placed.
- On the QDC website, you can look at your orders by clicking on the “My Orders” tab.
- An order can only be picked up by the main cardholder or a joint cardholder who is linked to the main cardholder.
- If you miss your collection date and time, your order will be cancelled and you will have to place a new order.
- Products made from pork cannot be bought online.
How long can the permit be valid for?
- QDC says that the expiration date will be written as MM/YY.
- The permit is good until the last day of the month that is shown.
- You will be able to make one purchase 30 days after your permit has expired so that you have time to renew it.
- To use the card within 30 days, you must have a confirmed appointment at a retail store before the last day the card is valid.
How can you get a new QDC permit?
- If you still work for the same company, you can renew online through the website or make an online appointment to do it in person. You must have a valid QID.
- If anything about your company, job, salary, where you live, etc. has changed, you need to submit the new permit application documents. You have to apply in person and bring the updated application form and the documents with you.
- If your family is sponsoring you, every time you renew you will need to get a new letter from your employer and show your QID card. (The Qatar Residence Permit should be valid for longer than two months.)
- The applicant should pay the licence fee based on how long QID will be valid. You can use a debit card or a credit card to pay.
How do I get another one if I lose mine?
You need to tell QDC right away by sending them an email to email@example.com.
qa. So the lost card can be turned off.
To get a replacement, you must first make an appointment for a Retail Store Visit. Then, you’ll need to take your QID, Qatar driving licence, or passport to the Permit Office.
If the permit is still good, a new card with the same number but a different card code will be given.
If the old card is found, the code will no longer work in the QDC system, so it should be thrown away.
If the permit has already run out, it will need to be renewed before a new card can be made.
How to cancel the QDC permit?
You can get rid of your QDC permit one of two ways:
- You can return your permit card and ask for your card to be cancelled by going to the QDC permit office.
- You can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you can’t visit in person or have already left Qatar with the information about your permit so that your card can be taken away.
QDC FIFA WORLD CUP 2022 Opening Hourse
Abu Hamour Store will open 7:15 AM to 10:00 PM
Daily from 19th November to 17th December
Qatar Distribution Company (QDC) details:
- Location: Umm Al Jefairat، Doha (Abu Hamour area, off Wholesale Market Road)
- Website: https://www.qdc.com.qa
- Contact number: +974 4429 9777
- Opening hours: Saturday to Thursday- 8:30 am to 7:00 pm; Friday- 2:00 pm to 7:00 pm
- Facebook: @QatarDistributionCompany
- Email: email@example.com